David’s next step to help us move more toward God’s rest—
This is a form of worship. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
I looked in the margin of my Bible and notation to see Psalm 46:10 took me back to that scripture I wrestled with years ago that says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” A few pages over I was drawn to another “rest” scripture. Psalm 116:7 instead. Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.
This immediately made me think about listing the ways in which God is good to me as a form of worship to value Him as my Creator. There are many examples in the Bible, especially in the Psalms where David worshipped God by reciting God’s goodness in his own life and in the lives of his people.
The struggle for me is often where to begin, but I realize God doesn’t care where I start. In prayer and in worship to Him I begin with something like this:
- You, O’ God, saved me from death and healed me as a newborn following my parents’ car wreck.
- You spoke to me in the times I was afraid as a child and as an adult, and comforted me.
- You gave me courage to obey you!
- You filled me with discernment and helped me to make safe choices so that I was not in the wrong place at the wrong time for calamity and disaster to touch me.
- You blessed me with favor.
- You set me on a path that you alone know.
- You have given me many opportunities to grow in faith.
- You have placed amazing people in my life to love and share this journey with.
- You have taught me well—even when I refused to listen. You never gave up on me!
- You gave me a wonderful husband and taught me about marriage—even when I thought I couldn’t do it.
- You are faithful to forgive me when I fail.
- You put a song in my heart and encourage me to sing it—especially when I feel down.
- You gave me beautiful children, who have grown up to become responsible adults.
- You are with me always, even when I don’t hear you or have difficulty understanding your will or your ways.
- You’ve strengthened me in the hard times and never given up on me!
He made the earth and everything in it. He created you! He deserves to be worshiped as Creator.
How has he been good to you? Make a list and take it before Him today!
 Psalm 100:3 NIV